The goal of this adventure was to explore the rugged beauty of Steens Mountain and spend the night at the historic Frenchglen Hotel. Rising nearly a mile above the surrounding high desert, Steens Mountain is famous for its breathtaking views, deep glacial gorges, wildflowers, and roaming wildlife.
At the foot of the mountain sits the charming Frenchglen Hotel, a beautifully preserved 1917 inn where travelers can experience a slower pace of life and a taste of Oregon's ranching history. I couldn't think of a better base camp for a little fox-sized adventure into one of the wildest and most remote corners of the state.
Speaking of historic buildings, I also made a stop at the Riddle Ranch tucked away on Steens Mountain. Built by the Riddle family in the early 1900s.
This remote homestead tells the story of the determined ranchers who carved out a life in one of Oregon's most rugged landscapes.
Walking inside the old buildings, I could almost imagine the families, horses, and livestock that once made this lonely corner of the mountain their home.
A Little Side Note from My Archaeology Studies:
I’m still working on my archaeology degree, and I think this visit to Riddle Ranch might earn me a pretty good grade in my imaginary Archaeology 302: Old Buildings of the West class. Exploring century-old buildings, studying weathered wood, and imagining the stories behind every board felt like the perfect field assignment.
I’m still working on my archaeology degree, and I think this visit to Riddle Ranch might earn me a pretty good grade in my imaginary Archaeology 302: Old Buildings of the West class. Exploring century-old buildings, studying weathered wood, and imagining the stories behind every board felt like the perfect field assignment.
I may not have had a shovel or official archaeology degree, but I definitely gathered enough notes for my little fox field report!






No comments:
Post a Comment