Thursday, February 6, 2020

Little Fox, Archaeologist.

Hello Blog World.
Little Fox, Archaeologist here.  I am back in the Northwest doing more work for the museum.  Of course, I am still a student archaeologist so I am at the beck and call of the museum.  Speaking of working cheap, Sequoia decided to come alone for the hike today.
The museum needed documentation of a old train station.  I am in Mt. St. Helen's country and if you happened to be alive back in the stone ages Mt. St. Helen's erupted and caused some damage.   The train tracks are supposed to be decommissioned but not because of Mt. St. Helen's damage (as this archaeological student thought). 
Might need to get a closer look.  This could be a clue.  Nope. just a trail marker
Onward.  Moulton Falls is along the route.  More of a rapid than a falls. 
Looks like old train tracks.  I might be on the right track to the old station (no pun intended).
I crossed the river successfully.  On the other side there was a nice viewing platform of the falls.
Sequoia led me on the trail to Yacolt Falls.  

I know I am close to the train station.  From my research I am looking for a railroad line built in the 1880s.  The line was used to transport logs and other natural resources from the area to lumber mills in Vancouver.  As with most railroads they lost money, changed ownership too many times to count, and was moderately operational until the mill was permanently closed. 
.

Sequoia is really earning his keep today.  Looks like he found the station

Looks like I made it to the Moulton Falls station. 
There is an abbreviated history of the railroad line.  Looks like the current owner is the Chelatchie Prairie RR.   
Well.  This sign is not 100% complete.  Makes you wonder what else they have to say.  Perhaps this would be something I could pitch to the museum for further research????









6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I always love a cliffhanger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, there is a beary important part missing...what were the snacks???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prairie Railroad Association has been...

    the suspense is killing me! Is this one of those choose-your-own-adventure books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentine's Day (which Jerry calls Happy More Chocolate for Me Day)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice hike! I like the waterfalls... did you get approved to track down the missing sign bit?

    ReplyDelete