Thursday, October 21, 2021

Another hike? Nope, a ferry ride in the San Juan Islands.

Hello Blog World.  Little Fox here. I am hanging out at the Anacortes Ferry Terminal waiting for my ferry to come.  
The Anacortes ferry terminal is home to a variety of ferries.  I'm off to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, but they also have ferries that travel to other San Juan Islands and also Vancouver Island in Canada.  
The border just opened between the US and Canada so that's cool but they aren't running any ferries between Anacortes and Victoria yet.

Do you see my ferry in the background. I am traveling of the MV Suquamish.  The Suquamish was rebuilt in 2018 so it's in great shape and ready to take some important cargo (i.e. me) to Friday Harbor. 
Pro tip.  Hang out in the back of the ferry less wind. 
So many islands in the San Juan islands in Washington. 
About an hour and a half later I made it to Friday Harbor (they had to do some drills on the ferry....you know safety first).   Friday Harbor on San Juan Island is a popular destination and a cool place to visit. 

Lot's of neat stores.  This one looks right up my alley.  

Time was short on the island (gotta catch the ferry home) but I did find a nice spot to have a picnic lunch.  What a great view from the park. 

The Salty Fox coffee shop was closed but I have to admit I like the name. 
So, the Anacortes ferry terminal was pretty big and the Friday Harbor terminal was a little more low key.  No fancy walkway for walk on passengers (the only way to go) instead you walk on the dock straight to the ferry.
My vessel to Anacortes is the MV Yakima.  The Yakima is an older ferry (it's showing some age), built in 1967, then rebuilt in 2000.  It's had a good history.  First running Seattle to Bremerton, then Edmonds to Kingston and now it's running Anacortes to Friday Harbor.  How did one fox learn so much about the MV Yakima, Wikipedia of course (yes, the ferries have their own Wikipedia page). 
MV Yakima page




2 comments:

  1. I almost misread "Suquamish" as "Squeamish", LOL. Sounds like a cool trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad the salty fox coffee shop was closed; sounds like a beary cool place!

    ReplyDelete