Thursday, September 8, 2022

Alaska 6 - Welcome to Seward

 I met some cool stuffies at a B and B in Seward, AK.  They were super helpful in pointing me in the direction of many different things to do. 

The first suggestion was to visit the murals around town.  This one really called out to me. 
Seward was the start of the Iditarod Trail (not the race).  The trail was similar to the Pony Express where mushers would travel up and down Alaska delivering mail and goods in the winter.  Seward is mile 0. 
Besides the Iditarod start there are also a lot of glaciers in the area. 

Everyone was so friendly in Seward. 
Just outside of Seward is Kenai Fjords National Park.  
The most popular place to visit in the park is Exit Glacier.  You can't walk on the glacier but it's an easy walk to the viewing platform.
Voila!  Exit Glacier.  Yep, you can probably see how it's receding. 
The walk up to the glacier has a variety of signs with different years on them.  The years represent the location of where the glacier was.  
The next day I decided to book a boat tour to see more glaciers.  The weather is pretty good for Seward today.  I'm patiently waiting my turn to get onto the boat. 
Coming up to a glacier.
This glacier is so pretty. 
The crew was able to get some of the ice floating by and they offered to make margaritas with that ice.  
If Drunk Fox was still actively drinking he would not be impressed with the amount of alcohol in the margarita but for a little fox like me it was perfect!
Onward to my next destination. 






















1 comment: