Friday, January 5, 2018

A big adventure in Big Sur

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” ― Lao Tzu

As with most of my adventures it starts with a warm cup of hot chocolate. As you can see I am in the seaside city of Carmel, California.
Once I fortified myself with hot chocolate I was off to explore.  There is an old mission in Carmel that is calling my name. This mission was part of the El Camino Real road, a trail that connected all the 21 Spanish  missions in California to each other.  
The mission was started around 1770 and then fell into disrepair in the 1830 it was divided and half the land was given back to the native american's and the other half went to the non-native american mission residents.  Around the 1860s the Roman Catholic Church took ownership of the mission and in the 1880s it began rebuilding. 
This mission is the only mission in California to have it's original bell tower. 
There is a mission school in operation now. 
 They also hold special events. I found a BBQ on the back end o the property, I am hoping they fire it up so I can get a nice snack.
Sigh, no snack for me. My next stop is to see Big Sur, California.   The geography of the beach looks similar to the Oregon Coast. 
I decided to stop at the Bixby Creek Bridge, one of the most photographed bridges in California. The bridge was built in 1932 and before the bridge the residents were cut off from Carmel and Monterrey during the winter as there was no safe passage.
I made it!  Big Sur Lodge, another famous lodge/hotel on my journey.  It looks beary nice with lots of trees, natural light and a unique entrance. 

The inside is just as you would expect.  Wood furniture, a fireplace, and lots of common areas to hang out it.  
Rumor has it that the land was owned by John and Florence Pffieffer from 1880 to 1933.  Florence decided to start charging visitors for food, rooms, and boarding for their animals around 1908.  Her business boomed especially since she was known as a good cook (and she stood up for animals who were mistreated, Yeah Florence!!!!!).   I hope some of Florence's legacy is still around in the restaurant of the lodge.  This fox is hungry.
Apparently, I am a little early for dinner.  That's OK, I will wait here till dinner service starts. 

6 comments:

  1. Great photos! That bridge looks beary scarey to cross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but my humans drove so I could just relax in the front seat.

      Delete
  2. My human visited Carmel and Big Sur once, but that was apparently before my time. The lodge looks cozy and rustic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cool lodge. I think your human should take you out there - only seems fair. Plus they had Bacon Flavor Cotton Candy in Monterrey.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the Big Sur photo is so beautiful! Thanks for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Sur was cool. You should really thank WikiPedia for the history lesson but I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete