Thursday, May 10, 2018

A hodgepodge of a museum.

Adventures around a hotel, hiking, and another day in Bend.  What to do? My roommates decided to take me to the High Desert Museum to learn about the area.  My first stop was the bobcat enclosure.  This bobcat looks like a friendly enough guy.  I wish he had more space to walk around.
The museum had all sorts of historical information.  This is a replica camp of fur traders from the Hudson Bay Company.  Their camp looks pretty good but I think a hotel might be more my style. 
Besides the fur traders campground they also had an old general store. Looks like a great place to get a snack but the clerk is not responding to me ringing the bell. 
Additionally, they had a living history of an old ranch.  The ranch had chickens, yes chickens and a sawmill, along with an old homestead house. 
No chickens today (they probably heard I was in town). 
 They had an old forest service fire truck.  They restored it for Smokey The Bear's 50th anniversary and after parading it around the state for a year it ended up at the museum.
Phooey, I don't think I am can reach the pedals - so driving this is out of the question for me. 
So this museum was a hodgepodge of things.  Part zoo, as you can see from these otters below.  Part living history exhibit, and part history of the area.
Sigh, back to reality.  My roommates have explained that it's time to go back home.  
What adventure is next for me? 




6 comments:

  1. Cute otters. Speaking of which, I wonder how Lightning the Otter is doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking. Lightning is doing great. Most of his free time is spent at the beach. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beary cool museum, and that car was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to convince the curator of the musuem to let me take the old car out for a spin (you know to keep the engine and brakes working etc) but he said I had to be able to touch the pedals which wasn't really going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you hear about the bobcat that was mistaken for a cat?

    https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/Texans-Mistake-Bobcat-Kittens-for-House-Cat-Kittens-Several-People-Bitten-482103262.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh... I didn't know the HBC got down as far south as Oregon - go figure. Nice tour!

    ReplyDelete