Friday, June 29, 2018

9:30am lunch?

Greetings from the trail.  I am at a beary popular trail head in Oregon.  It's 8am and there are already cars in the parking lot.  It's Monday, I know the post is on a Thursday (humans.....).   Down to business I am hoping to see some wild rhododendrons and a good view of Mt. Hood.  
The rhododendron tree is looking green but no flowers.  I wonder if I am too late?
Ah, there we go.  This rhodie is blooming.  The wild ones are only pink.
I wanted to take a break and guess who showed up on the same rock as me?  Sequoia jumped right up and wanted to get in the picture. 
Back on the trail.  I have a choice.  I  can go to Tom, Dick and Harry mountain or to Mirror Lake.  Let's check out the lake first.
You can kind of see a reflection of Mt. Hood in the lake. The mosquitoes are out so I must keep moving.
See that hill out there?  It's Tom, Dick and Harry mountain and it's my final destination.
A few wildflowers are out today.  Indian Paintbrush and Bear Grass.
Mt. Jefferson looks good.  The air needs to clear up and Mt. Jeff needs more snow for a better picture.  
I am now near the top of Tom, Dick and Harry mountain.  Mt. Hood in the background looks nice and there's more Indian Paintbrush and Bear Grass.  This is not a great spot for lunch.  Perhaps a rock. 
This spot looks good.  Of course, it's 9:30am.  Is that too early for lunch?  Yes, but I am hungry so I am eating. 
Sequoia is not one to be shown up.  He decided to pose for this picture and I must admit he looks good.














5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!! What a perfect spot for a nice picnic (and nap after).

    Bear grass? We're not sure what that is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure either - of course I am fox so I am not 100% up on my bear plants :)

      Delete
  2. Why is it called Tom, Dick, and Harry Mountain? Are there three peaks?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. According to Wikipedia, the mountain is named for three distinct peaks you can see from the summit. Thanks for asking, I have hiked that trail for years and never new why they called it that.
      LF

      Delete
  3. Nice hike with beautiful wild flowers. Cool too that you can see Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Hood!

    ReplyDelete