Thursday, June 7, 2018

Little Fox, amateur archeologist

Hello Blog Pals,
Welcome to another episode of Little Fox, amateur archeologist.  Today, I a exploring an old community called Jawbone Flats.  It was a logging operation in the 1930s and logged a few logs in it's day.  The operation stalled when two trucks full of logs fell off the road into a canyon. I wonder if this is where the accident happened?

This looks like an old mine.  I wish I knew, I would have brought a flashlight.  I asked my roommates if I could use the flashlight on their cell phone and they both said "no".  Phooey.
As I wandered around the trail I saw reminders of the old logging operations. 
These gears came off the USS Oregon, which was scrapped for Iron.  I few things got left over for the loggers to use.
This is an old looking railroad track. 
As the hike continued I knew I was supposed to be on the lookout for an Opal pool.  
Nope, but the wild rhodies are blooming.
Long trail ahead.
Aha, this must be it!  Let me make a note in my archeology notebook. 
Well, this is intersting.  I came across an old ghost town.  Looks like a mining town.  
\
Aha, the name of this old town is Jawbone Flats.  Jawbone Flats was a company mining town for about 140 years.  Mining everything from zinc to gold.  In 1992 mining ceased and it quickly became a ghost town. 
More mining equipment, I wonder which level makes this train run? 
An old stove, I wonder what kind of food was cooked on it.  Probably biscuits and bread.

Some sort of oven built into the ground.  Part of the mining I guess.
I might need a tetanus shot after this trip.
Hmm, I wonder when this truck was last in use?

Well, an interesting chapter for me, Little Fox, amateur archeologist.  Jawbone Flats is now a nature retreat.  A few cabins are available and in the $300 range to rent for a night.  A tad too much for this little fox.
This looks like a good place to update my archeology journal.  I wonder if the museum is interested in having me explore more of the area?





6 comments:

  1. Wow... that was a very green pool. Nice tour LF! Are you planning to become a stuffie tour guide soon? I think you'd do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhap.....maybe in the hiking division of stuffie tours.

      Delete
    2. Don't forget the archaeological division... and the wine-tasting division...

      Delete
  2. What's "mine" is yours...heh heh. Make sure your tetanus booster is up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool photos! I like the old truck.

    ReplyDelete