Thursday, June 18, 2020

Stuffy Class with Grinell!

Little Fox here.   This weeks Stuffy Class is with my pal Grinnell.  

As you can see Grinnell is a little shy but he's a friendly chap. 
Grinnell was named after Grinnell Glacier at Glacier National Park in Montana. 


He travels with me in the car with me on my adventures but  he doesn't really like to partake in the adventures (hiking, wine tasting, beach walking etc.) with me.   

That's Okay.  You might wonder what he does while waiting for me to finish my adventures?  Great question.  A little background.  Grinnell is a master picnicer.  Yes, that is a real thing.  He has a BA degree in Picnic Science from San Bernardino Valley College, Big Bear Campus.  Take it away Grinnell. I'm going to finish my dinner. 


------
Hello everyone.  I'm Grinnell and as LF mentioned I pretty much live in the car.  Besides winning a prize in Sandy's Art Deco Contest (hey Sandy when are we going to do another one)?????  I am an avid traveler (I always go with the humans and LF on trips) and while they are out doing hiking etc. I am happily picnicing.



Today's class involves how to have a good picnic. 
Step 1:  Get a plate and set up your picnic.  I have two hard boiled eggs (us Lions need their protein), a nice turkey sandwich, some gorgonzola crackers (from Trader Joe's) and apple. Every good picnic pro knows to have a balanced lunch.
Homemade hummus to enjoy on the crackers and the thin sliced apple. 
I don't know who came up with the idea of cheese and apples but they go very well together.  Maybe, I can research that combination of foods for an advanced degree is Picnic Science?
This lion likes to stay hydrated (just water in here.....nothing more).  I had a whole semester on reusable picnic wear.
Now. a first class picnic doesn't come together on the seat of ones pants.  It involves research.  Location, location, location.  First, I chose a nice park to visit.
Then I suggest planning some other activities to do  in the area.  I found a local ice cream shop nearby.  Back in the day it was a drive in but now the drive in part has been replaced with picnic tables.  

What should I have?  Sundae?  A couple of scoops of homemade ice cream in a bowl?  Should I get both? 
Perhaps this monkey with an ice cream cone can help me decide?  Looks like he wants me to get a burger and an ice cream.  
In the 80s, the owner of Alf's saw an ad in a newspaper for a monkey (the kind that runs the organ grinder).  So she did the logical thing....she bought it.  Tore out 1/2 of her restaurant to make a monkey cage and she takes the current monkey (named Elvis, not the original one from the 80s) back home every night.

Elvis wasn't there at the time I visited......apparently he had left the building. :)


Students.  To sum out a picnic needs lots of things.  Location, Good Food, Reusable beverage container, and an ancillary activity to complete after eating.  PS - I decided on the ice cream bowl.  Two scoops (roommates were paying).  One scoop was Raspberry Ribbon.  The other scoop, Cherry Cheesecake.


I hope you have enjoyed my Stuffy Class.  
-Your pal Grinnell. 





























5 comments:

  1. Thanks Grinnell! Great stuffy class! That home-made hummus looks beary yummy... what do you put in yours? Ours has chick peas, tahini, garlic, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and doses of paprika...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Ours too. Sometimes when human is out of tahini or doesn't want to pay for a wh ok ke bottle (it is expensive down here) we will use peanut butter and sesame oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, that's an interesting substitution... is expensive here too...

      Delete
  3. All good hints for a picnic. Do you prefer to sit at a picnic table, or spread a blanket out on the grass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blanket on the grass if the weather is nice (and the grass is dry). Picnic table if not (and I like to have a table cloth for the picnic table). I should have put that in the blog. Great question Droopy.

    ReplyDelete