Thursday, May 13, 2021

A side trip to Palm Springs, PioneerTown, and a big date farm.

 The park is a cool place.  No doubt about that but today I am off to see what the nearby (relatively speaking) town of Palm Springs can offer.


First stop: Shields Date Farm.  Okay, it's not in Palm Springs but pretty darn close.  Shields is in Indio, CA about 20 minutes east. 

Let's go!

The date farm has a manicured garden, a cafe, and I heard that if I am a well behaved fox I might get a treat. 
The garden was closed today due to the wind. 
The staff didn't want anyone to get hurt.

Let's explore inside.  Perhaps there is something for me?  Oh man, a 24 ounce (only size) date milkshake.  All for me right?  Right?
This is the life. 
My roommates decided to take me to see a temporary art exhibit called Desert X.  Desert X only happens in February, March and April in the Palm Springs area.  First up: A tiny home to represent the urban sprawl that was Southern California experienced after WWII.
A few miles away a maze made out of reed mats to simulate the challenges immigrants face navigating in a new country.  
Reed mats were used in honor of the native peoples who lived in this area before it was "settled"
Next up is one titled "What lies behind these walls" to simulate the different layers of peoples lives and cultures.
Remember the wind at the date farm?  It followed us for two days.  This art installation was on top of a hill and so windy. My right paw is catching the wind nicely.
Time for lunch.  What's on the menu?
Vegan, yes vegan, Cuban Sandwich and a nice big salad. 
Now that I have more energy in my body time to explore Pioneer Town.

In 1946, Pioneertown was founded by a group of Hollywood investors with dreams of creating a living movie set — an 1870's frontier town with facades for filming and interiors open to the public.  
People still live in Pioneertown and periodically they still film.  I think they did a truck commercial and a Cindy Lauper video.  

One more stop.   Oh, this looks promising.  It's not Sunday but the Mexican place has an all you can eat buffet in the morning.  
My roommates mentioned we were only here for drinks.   This margarita looks like a refreshing drink for a little fox. 


























6 comments:

  1. Excellent adventure and tour. So what was in the Cuban Sandwich??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saiten. A similar texture to meat and takes lots of flavor.
      https://yupitsvegan.com/basic-homemade-seitan/

      Delete
  2. Great adventure! So glad you also reported on the lunch...many Stuffies are also interested in the lunches and snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...right. Finally a report on luch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete