Thursday, April 12, 2018

McMenamins Tacoma Elk's Club Tripster Party 2018

This line is long....I wonder what they (my roommates) are thinking.  They have wrist bands (I don't) and everyone in line is gitty with excitement.  All I can see if this vacant lot and wonder what is going on.
*Cue dramatic music, the line is moving* Hmm, this is going to be interesting. My roommates showed their wristbands to the doorman and he let us into a construction zone.  Huh.

My roommates informed me it was the Tacoma Elks lodge.  Built between 1915 and 1916 it is a beaux arts style building that the city of Tacoma had to sue the Elks to sell to them because it was in disrepair.  The city won the lawsuit, bought the building from the Elks,  then sold the building to a developer in Portland.  This building was built into the hillside and offers some amazing views of the waterways and Mt. Rainier. 

Right now I am at the top of the building, the 6th floor balcony looking down at the 6th floor. Man, I wish I had a hardhat. 
6th floor proper:  I was never one to follow rules. 
Looking up, the millwork and molding is in pretty good shape.  
Lots of areas with these makeshift fences.  Apparently, while the building was vacant and falling apart local graffiti artists went inside to practice their craft. 
More graffiti.  There is supposed to be a band playing on this stage soon. 
Quite a turnout.
So, the party I attended was called the Cosmic Tripster party. As a reward for visiting all of these Mcmenmains restaurants in the Northwest you got to go to the tripster party.  It was quite a party as you can see. 

 They had free wine, beer, mixed drinks, games, music, and lunch.  Being that this building wasn't quite ready for full food service they brought in food carts.  I decided to get the burger but they had a couple different choices. 


 Lots of places to play hide and seek. 
 All the construction equipment was roped off and most of the windows were boarded up.  I wonder if they need a stuffie supervisor up here? 

It was an exciting day - the weather was great, a behind the scenes party and lots of good food and drink.  When is the next party? 

5 comments:

  1. That would be a great place to play stuffie hide-and-seek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over. I will get a game set up:)

      Delete
    2. More importantly, what do you want for snacks?

      Delete
  2. Wow... that is quite the building. I agree with Jerry & Ben... I think we need smoked salmon, candied salmon, salmon nuggets, salmon pate, salmon cream cheese and... oh, salmon caviar maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool setting for a party. Let's set up the next Stuffie Convention there.

    ReplyDelete