Thursday, November 21, 2019

Colorado here I come

Hello Blog World,
Little Fox here.  I am back on the road, this time I am off to Colorado.  Ajdin went there a few weeks ago and it looked like an amazing place so I thought I would road trip out there.

Day 1: Drive from Portland to Boise. 
Drunk Fox has done that drive many times in his wanderings and he recommended a place in Pendleton, Oregon for lunch.
I didn't stop there even after Drunk Fox suggested it.  

A little later I arrived in Boise.  I got settled for the night and went out for dinner.  I figured I needed a drink and this beer is from Bear Island Brewing which only seems like a stuffy friendly establishment.
Yep, that beer pretty much put me out for the night.  Off to bed.
My roommate scored a great parking spot near the Idaho Capital Building.  It's about 6:30am and the capital isn't open yet but the grounds are in great shape.

Still early and time for breakfast.  This is the District Coffee House.  A coffee shop in downtown Boise that donates all of it's profit to an orphanage in India.  Seems like a good place to check out.

A nice big coffee and a warm breakfast sandwich.  Yum. 
Today I am doing a volksmarch of Boise.  It's basically a walking tour of downtown.  Volksmarching is beary popular in Germany (where it began) and some cities have awesome Volksmarch clubs and others not-so-much.

The first stop is at a local park.  It's actually a really big park along the Boise River.  Boise State University is on one side of the river and this big park is on the other side. I am enjoying the fragrant roses of the rose garden. 
No walking tour of Boise would be complete without going to the Basque District.  Don't quote me but Boise has one of the largest Basque communities in the United States. 
The district is beary nice.  Good looking restaurants and a Basque themed inn. 
Lots of history in Boise.  
The Methodist and Catholic Cathedrals are right next to each other in downtown Boise. This here is the Catholic Catherdral. They are working on the outside but it's a stately looking building. 
Speaking of stately the capital building is now open.
I thought the outside was nice but the inside is really really really nice.  It's pretty empty today as the legislature is not in session so that gives me a chance to explore.




5 comments:

  1. The interior of that capital building is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was there when the legislatures were on break so it was pretty quiet and I had the place pretty much to myself.

      Delete
  2. Wow - Boise sounds pretty cosmopolitan and diverse - Basque and Volksmarching - not to mention Catholic and Methodist although those might reflect the two others. Never heard of Volksmarching - sounds like a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, don't let the secret out but Boise is pretty cool. What, you haven't heard of volksmarching?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksmarching

      Delete
    2. Nope... I'm gonna have to do some research on this! Love your new header pic...

      Delete