Thursday, September 30, 2021

Dam if I know....

 Hello Gang,

Little Fox here.  I am off exploring the Northern Cascades in Washington this week.  I'm pretty close to the Canadian Border but didn't bring my passport so no visiting my pal Sandy this week.


My hiking adventure is near Mt. Baker in Washington State.  The trail is called Damfino Lakes to Excelsior ridge.  



According to the people I chatted with on the hike they said a young whipper snapper asked an old timer mountain man what the name of the lake was and his response was "Dam if I know."  The named morphed into Damfino lakes and stuck. 

I made it to the lake!  The bugs were crazy at this time of the day.  It was one of the quickest lunches the humans ate.  Do you see the foggy weather, yep that's smoke from fires in Eastern Washington (8/13/21).

Next stop is Excelsior Ridge.   Yep, more smoke. 
Note to self, come back when the weather is a tad clearer.  Mountains look cool.  
At the top of the ridge.  A few different ways to access it.  We took the short cut, but the dirt road we traveled to the trailhead had a fork in it.  One way was to the trailhead, the other way was to Canada.  I should have seen if a certain Canadian Bear was interested in meeting up here.

Met some cool bears at the Air B and B. 
Just in case you are wondering I did not choose the air b and b simply because of the stuffy bears but it' was a nice perk. 
Time to rehydrate after the hike.  
Where is this fox off to next? 











4 comments:

  1. Nice adventure! The smoke was bad this year up in BC too. Did you wave your LF flag? Sometimes we can see Mt. Baker from here... if I had a super-duper telescope, maybe I could see you waving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You can see baker from your place? No, the flag didn't make it this time but it allowed me to pack a bigger lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, from the beach and from a few high points near us... I posted about it in the Sugarloaf Mt blog in the spring. It's even more impressive from Vancouver.

      Delete
  3. Lots of bears...must be a beary cool place!

    ReplyDelete