Thursday, December 2, 2021

Little Fox Student Archeologist working on the Oregon Trail.

 Hello Gang,  


Little Fox here at the Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.  Sadly, they are closed for a major remodel but the outdoor exhibits are open. 

A four month, 2000 mile trip from Independence Missouri to the Willamette Valley.
400,000 people traveled on the Oregon trail or offshoot trails (California, Bozeman or Mormon trails). 
I'm on top of Flagstaff Hill.  
The emigrants didn't actually travel to the top of Flagstaff Hill.  The emigrants tried to take the path of least resistance so they went around the hill.  This part of the trail was challenging (ok, the entire trail was challenging) but by the time pioneers came out to this part it was July or August the climate is high desert without a whole lot of water.
Time for lunch.  Cheese and crackers.  Yum. 
Being a student archeologist I have been tasked by the University to find ruts from the Oregon Trail wagons.  A lot of the trail was paved over but my sources tell me I can find some at the bottom of Flagstaff  Hill.  
This looks promising. 
The ruts were not at all what I expected. I was thinking they would be narrow but the ruts are almost like a dirt road.  
It was getting late and I had to hike back so I could contact the University with my findings.  Perhaps after a beer or two. 

 

















6 comments:

  1. Does the Interpretive Center teach Interpretive Dance?....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent piece! Was it the Oregon Trail that had that group that got snowed in and had to over-winter in the mountains? And ate some unappetizing people??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. The Donner Party. They got stuck over the Sierra Nevadas.

    ReplyDelete