Thursday, December 27, 2018

Little Fox Archaeologist explores our cold war past and has some great cider.

Oh, hello.  I didn't see you there.
Sorry about that.  It is I Little Fox on a mini weekend adventure.  Right now I am hanging out in Tri Cities Washington.  No, this view isn't of the cities (it would be pretty remote) but it is a view of the Columbia River and if you follow it north you can end up at it's headwaters in Canada.    This section is actually part of the Hanford Reservation.  Hanford was a big deal in the cold war.  It was one of the three places where the Manhattan Project  took place.  Hanford was a nuclear weapon production area during the war.  It's decommissioned now (thankfully) and it's in the process of being cleaned up.  You can still take reactor tours but I didn't have my act together to get on one today.   Hanford is a pretty remote area but it fueled the growth of Tri Cities.

Tri Cities has a cool museum that talks about Hanford  and it's role in WWII.  The museum also has some interesting artifacts of prehistoric animals that lived in the area.
This boat is perfectly sized for me. 
Winter travelers from Canada. 
Canadian Goose Airways would do well here.
Whew, day one is complete.  Good thing I filled up on a healthy fish sandwich at Zip's Drive in.



Day Two:
Today is Veteran's Day (November 11th) and I missed the parade the National Guard put on.  They were packing up their equipment when I arrived.
It was pretty cold (never above 32 degrees today) so I decided to duck into a fancy hotel and rest in the lobby for a while.  I kind of blend into the chair eh?
This is an odd building.  Doesn't really fit into the architecture.  Now it's a Macy's but I wonder what it was in it's previous life?
How can you not like this picture?
After all of this adventuring I need a break.  Time for a glass of hard cider.  This is a place my roommates knew about.  It looks very industrial but kind of neat.
Blue Mountain Cidery.  These glasses are fox sized. 
In the back of the warehouse they were having a case sale.  Apparently, they bottle their own cider but made cider for other companies as well. One of the companies they partner with went out of business and they were selling cases of cider for about a dollar a bottle (a beary good deal).  
Being that I am always up for a back alley deal I bought a few cases.....perhaps I will share with my roommates?












4 comments:

  1. You make a great tour guide - I'd never heard of any of those places. Was that Macy's building ever a theatre or something? It has that look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was once a theater. Do you think stuffy yours would approve me as a guide if I end every tour at a winery or cidery.

    ReplyDelete