Thursday, July 16, 2020

Who is Big Bear?

Hello Blog World.  Little Fox here.  I have not been on a proper hike for months and I am missing my outdoor time.  I have succumbed to spraying an air freshener that smells like the woods to hold me over till hiking is a viable option again.
In this week’s stuffy class session, we are honored to have a very special guest.  Big Bear is with us today to teach us about his hobby of flying.  Big Bear is a busy person. He takes flying lessons 5 days a week and has been doing so for the last 10 years.  Take it away Big Bear. 
----------------------------------
Big Bear here:  Thank you for attending my stuffy class.  Little Fox did a great job of introducing me. I have been taking flying lessons for over 10 years. Same plane, same instructor and I am progressing nicely with my lessons.

 

I developed an interest in flying mainly because my bear cave in the flight pattern of a small airport. I walked over to the airport years ago to learn more. Then I met the instructor at the flight school and the rest is history.

My little airport has small planes (like the one I fly in) and big planes.  Rumor is that this hangar holds planes of a certain footwear company.  The planes in this hangar are much more advanced than the ones I can fly.


See that little one over there?  Yep, that’s the plane I train on.  I have been training on that plane for 10+ years and I even have my own set of keys. 
Here's a better picture of my training plane.

How did I get into flying you ask?  I was an aficionado of a popular flying movie from the 80s.  Two of the main characters were nicknamed Maverick and Ice.  Perhaps this picture will help you figure out the movie.


I spend most of my days in the air and each day the instructor and I have lunch.  Part of the deal of my flight lessons (I get a heck of a discount) is to provide the instructor with a sandwich everyday we fly. 


 

Other questions that come up when I talk about flying that hopefully I can answer.

1)    Why do you wear a lei?  I wear it once school lets out to celebrate summer (I come from a long line of teacher bears).

2)    What happened to your leg?  I broke it years ago……..still hasn’t healed.

3)    Does your broken leg interfere with running the pedals of your plane?  Nope, I have adapted.

 

As my stuffy class is coming to an end let me summarize a little.  

1)    A hobby is a great thing to have.

2)    It’s Ok to take lessons for a long time.  Although I recommend trying to negotiate a good deal.

3)    A hobby that lets you travel is always a bonus.


Thanks again for taking my class.  Course evaluations are optional.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! The part about the woodsy air freshener cracked me up. Hang in there LF...hopefully things will get back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A+ course evaluation.

    I'll have to try the honey and cashew butter combo. Looks beary tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A+ Great class. Jerry says it's time for the class party, with of course lots of ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Big Bear! You must have a lot of flying hours under your belt!

    ReplyDelete