Thursday, March 1, 2018

Little Fox visits the Olympic Club.

Little Fox here:  I am hanging out in a railway hotel called the Olympic Club.  It's in Centralia Washington and I am patiently waiting for my roommates to finish talking to the clerk so we can start the scavenger hunt. 
King of Bootleggers? This could be interesting, I wish Drunk Fox was here he might know who the king of the bootleggers was. 
The hotel is where the scavenger hunt took place.  The first room I saw was Roy Gardener's.  He was  considered the Last American Outlaw.  During the 1920s and throughout his robbed and took over $350,000 and escaped federal custody numerous times.  Roy ended up in Centralia when he escaped a train near Centralia by having an associate hide a gun in the bathroom.  He went to the bathroom, got the gun and told the marshals guarding him to unlock him and then he hopped onto another train.  To hide his identity he bandaged his face and told anyone who asked that he was burned in an industrial accident in Tacoma.  Roy's plan didn't work, he got another 25 years.  Eventually Roy spent time in Alcatraz.
An employment agency and card room?  Interesting combination. 
While looking for the scavenger hunt picture I did find an old menu.  Fried salmon is only $.45.  I wonder if they will honor the price now?
This looks promising. 

I see a royal flush and the guy in the king's picture is the famous local bootlegger (and one time owner of the Olympic Club) Jack Scuitto.

Now that I found the scavenger hunt photo my roommates decided to treat me to a game of pool.  I am hoping they are going to help me shoot the balls around.
It was time to head home.  As I walked by the historic Fox theater I saw this marquee that seemed perfect for me.


5 comments:

  1. Fried salmon.. 45 cents? Wow, those were the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure, of course back then people were earning something like $0.63 an hour.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's right, my roommates remember when you could buy a new car for $8,500 and it had a tape deck as a standard feature!!!

      Delete
  3. Huh... my human remembers a time when an 8-track deck was the cat's meow... (oops... maybe I shouldn't have said that... my human is frowning... quick... hit Publish!)

    ReplyDelete