Thursday, August 30, 2018

Little Fox Archaeologist

Hello Blog Pals,
I received a call from the museum's director wanting me to document some historical places around the state.  A purest would say it's more of a sociology task but if the check clears this fox doesn't really care.

Yes, Odie is the museum's director.


Back in the day, there was a show on TV called Northern Exposure.  It was set in Cecily, Alaska and the premise was the state of Alaska paid for his medical school and in return he had to practice medicine anywhere the state placed him and in this case it was Cecily, Alaska.  The "real" Cecily is set in a town called Roslyn, Washington.

My job is to go to the town where they filmed shots for Cecily and document it for the museum.

One of the main scenes in the show was a moose walking around town.
Check one task off of my list for the museum.  The mural is in great shape. 
Other famous scenes from the TV show took place in the towns radio station.  A philosophical ex- conhad a popular morning show in the town. 
Well, I could not get into the station but I found it. 
The bar was a local hangout in town and many scenes were filmed.  I had my archaeological assistant (Sequoia) with me so going into the bar was not an option but I did find the bar. 
Outside of bar.
Even though Northern Exposure was the main show filmed in Roslyn, other shows have used the town as a backdrop.  The man in the high castle is partially filmed in Roslyn.  Before TV, Roslyn was an active mining community home to many European immigrants from 1850 to 1960ish when they stopped mining.  Now, the town makes it money from tourism (many lakes, many hikes, many ski resorts nearby).

I feel I have documented the town for the museum, now it's time to see the curator for my check.





8 comments:

  1. Odie's facial expression seems the same before and after...Was he pleased?

    (Shout out to a fellow canine, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odie certainly has a good poker face. When he is mad at me he looks like he is super happy with me. It's good to see a fellow canine in such a powerful role at the museum.

      Delete
  2. OMG, Papa used to watch that show, it was sure fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My roommies used to watch it too, tell you papa he has good taste.

      Delete
  3. You're getting some plum jobs from the Museum. Hope they covered your expenses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That suitcase of cash I gave the director last xmas is paying off.

      Delete
  4. Will you get recurring work from this gig?

    ReplyDelete